Thursday, September 08, 2011

Six-Word Memoirs by Teens

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous and Obscure (edited by Smith Magazine) is a collection of memoirs from 800 teens (ages 13 to 18), and each story is exactly six words long. This is a quick read that provides honest, emotional and sometimes funny insights into the lives of its authors.

Some entries express frustration ("ADD, OCD. Sucks to be me.") while others convey happiness ("I have curves! I love mirrors."). Some authors share secrets ("Called to ministry. Can't tell anyone.") and reveal painful events ("You made me stronger. Thanks, rapist.")

Many entries are funny ("Contemplated joining circus. Foolishly chose college." and "Smoke detectors taught me to cook.") and self-deprecating ("We're the family you gossip about."). Some are thought-provoking ("They say Oreo. I say raceless." and "Being scared has saved my life.") and others simply express what the author is feeling at the moment ("I seriously love school bean burritos.").

Readers will relate to many of these short memoirs -- they cover relevant topics and evoke powerful emotions. In our era of Twitter and text-messaging, this book of short snippets is worth reading, and will appeal to a broad audience of teens and adults alike.

Lisa U.
Chester County Library

No comments: